A Two-Night Mini Online Course
Point of view is a core element of every novel, and the importance multiplies with every narrator added into the timeline. Join authors Meera Trehan and Sarah Kapit to explore techniques and innovative choices when bringing multiple narrators to your middle grade or young adult novel. This program is a great fit if you’re looking for a short course of two, 75-minute sessions offering limited interaction with the community, but loads of information.
- Tuesday, March 19, 2024 (7pm – 8:15pm Eastern)
- Thursday, March 21, 2024 (7pm – 8:15pm Eastern)
- Webinar-style program with closed captioning available and limited interaction in the chat
- Recordings available until April 30, 2024
Why This Workshop?
Selecting the strongest narrator for your novel is an important consideration. This decision is amplified when you are called to tell your novel from multiple perspectives. Join authors Meera Trehan and Sarah Kapit to explore techniques and innovative choices when bringing multiple narrators to your middle grade or young adult novel.
This short course will share:
- Considerations for selecting the best POVs for your novel (and when multiple POVs might not be the right fit),
- Analysis of structure and form when it comes to multiple narrators (timelines, multi-genre, and more),
- Impacts on middle grade and YA readers when engaged in multi-POV novels,
- Writing exercises to illuminate the unique voices found in your multiple narrators,
- And an opportunity to ask questions!
- No feedback included in the course. There will be limited interaction in the chat feature of the webinar-style program.
It’s a Great Fit If…
- You are a writer looking to experiment with multiple points of view in your novel. There are unique considerations when it comes to varying the narrator throughout a novel. This course will illuminate those considerations.
- You are a middle grade or YA novelist at any stage in the writing process. This short course will spark ideas at any stage in your writing journey.
- You haven’t written a novel before, but know you have one inside you. No need to have a draft in progress with multiple points of view. This course will help you explore strengths of telling a multi-POV narrative (and when it might not be the best fit).
- You’re looking for something short, sweet, and smart! This is not a full workshop; they are short sessions meant to engage and build your understanding of multi-narrator novels.
At registration: You will receive a Zoom link to use each night of the course.
IF YOU CAN’T ATTEND LIVE:
If you are unable to attend either session for any reason, you’ll have access to the recordings (with closed captioning) through April 30, 2024.
Please note that if you register for the course after the start of the first session, you will not receive recordings immediately. You’ll receive both recordings after the close of the last session, usually within 24 hours.
All Times are Eastern Time. Click on the headings below to explore the agenda in more detail.
Part One: Tuesday, March 19, 2024 (7pm-8:15pm Eastern)
- Multi-Narrator Novels: An Overview (definitions and considerations for the writer) with Meera Trehan
- Examples and Questions to Ask of Your Narrator(s) with Sarah Kapit
- Writing Exercise with Sarah Kapit
- Q & A
Part Two: Thursday, March 21, 2024 (7pm-8:15pm Eastern)
- A discussion: Reader impact when engaged in multi-POV novels with Sarah Kapit
- Timelines, Form, and Unique Choices for your Multi-narrator novel with Meera Trehan
- Writing Exercise with Meera Trehan
How It Impacts Kids
Readers benefit from hearing more than one side to a story. This short program will help you explore ways to bring multiple narrators to the page in your novel.
Testimonials from Our Community
“It got me motivated to write again. I loved the fact that it was so interactive.”
“I knew I could not attend in person but I signed up because you offered the recording. Having that option was invaluable.”
“Keep the mini courses going for those of us that can’t attend at the Highlights Foundation Campus! It helps us stay in touch and keep our skills growing!!