Statement of Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
The Highlights Foundation is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment. We recognize the rich cultures and experiences that define our world. Many great accomplishments come from a diverse mix of ideas, backgrounds, and life events. We believe we gain strength from embracing these differences and celebrating the qualities that make each person unique. This is an integral part of who we are.
As an organization, we welcome ALL creators, their work, and their voices. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity (including expression), neurodiversity, disability, socioeconomic status, age, caste, geography, appearance, linguistic or cultural identity, veteran status, marital status, or political belief.
The Highlights Foundation positively impacts children by amplifying the voices of storytellers who inform, educate, and inspire children to become their best selves. We provide our creators with a safe, supportive, and welcoming space where they can thrive and find joy.
We will champion our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion by:
- Establishing a set of Community Standards for guests, faculty, and staff of the Highlights Foundation.
- Enforcing our Anti-Harassment Policy and providing a reporting protocol.
- Continuing to attain guidance from our Equity and Inclusion Committee.
- Providing inclusion training for our faculty and staff.
- Maintaining a list of Anti-Racism resources.
- Developing workshops, programs, and spaces, that are inclusive, providing learning opportunities. Also allowing opportunities for underrepresented individuals to gather in-community to continue the work required to end systemic racism.
- Working to make our course content and learning materials accessible to all guests of the Highlights Foundation.
- Continuing essential conversations with creators and industry professionals that are centered around topics related to identity, community, and craft as an ongoing part of our programming.
- Providing scholarships to underrepresented creators.
- Partnering with other organizations that share our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
At the Highlights Foundation, we realize we have a responsibility and opportunity to make a difference. We embrace a culture of kindness, community, and respect where there is no hate, no harm, and no harassment.
How This Commitment Positively Impacts Children
We believe that by providing our creators, staff, faculty, and guests with a safe, supportive, and welcoming space where they can thrive, find joy, and express themselves, children will see themselves in stories. We know that this to allows children to thrive, find joy, and in turn, express themselves.
These diverse stories, and the voices of those who create them, can reach children and young adults in ways that will inspire tangible, positive, generational change to build a more equitable and inclusive world.