A Two-Night Mini Online Course
Poetry has the power to give voice to our inner stories. Whether we are looking to engage in our memories, our grief, our joys, and/or our traumas, verse can unblock the flow to access and empower our words. Join award-winning authors Padma Venkatraman and Aida Salazar for this short course to open conversations in poetry between yourself and the page, and yourself and the world.
- Monday, December 11, 2023 (7pm – 8:15pm Eastern)
- Wednesday, December 13, 2023 (7pm – 8:15pm Eastern)
- Webinar-style program with closed captioning available and limited interaction in the chat
- You’ll have access to the recordings through January 31, 2024.
Why This Workshop?
This short course has been thoughtfully built to open conversations in poetry between yourself and the page, and yourself and the world.
Poetry has the power to give voice to our inner stories. Whether we are looking to engage in our memories, our grief, our joys, and/or our traumas, verse can unblock the flow to access and empower our words.
Join award-winning authors Padma Venkatraman and Aida Salazar to discuss:
- Meditation & Poetry Writing Exercises,
- Exploration of narrative poetry to explore grief,
- Ways to poets invite their readers into these personal conversations,
- Using dialog exercises to mine memories through poetry,
- and more!
- None included in the course. There will be limited interaction in the chat feature of the webinar-style program.
It’s a Great Fit If…
- You are a poet looking for idea generation among fellow poets. Generative sessions should help you explore new ideas and uncover new poems.
- You are working on a verse novel. You can be at any experience level or point in the process. The sessions are geared towards your personal experiences, but could be applicable to character discovery.
- You love poetry. We’ll read, write, and appreciate the power of this writing form.
- You’re stuck on a story in another format or genre. Using poetry to access your inner story can help bring your voice to the page in new ways.
- You’re looking for something short, sweet, and smart! This is not a full workshop. Instead it is two, 75-minute sessions meant to engage and grow as poets and caring humans!
At registration: You will receive a Zoom link to use each night of the course.
IF YOU CAN’T ATTEND LIVE:
If you are unable to attend either session for any reason, you’ll have access to the recordings (with closed captioning) through January 31, 2024.
Please note that if you register for the course after the start of the first session, you will not receive recordings immediately. You’ll receive both recordings after the close of the last session, usually within 24 hours.
All Times are Eastern Standard Time.
Part One: Monday, December 11, 2023 (7pm-8:15pm Eastern)
- Presentation: Using Narrative Poetry to Explore our Grief
- Meditation/Writing Exercise
- Sharing and Discussion
Part Two: Wednesday, December 13, 2023 (7pm-8:15pm Eastern)
- Presentation: A Poetic Dialog in Poetry: In Conversation With Myself
- Meditation/Writing Exercise
- Sharing and Q & A
How It Impacts Kids
As writers for kids and teens, we are called to explore our own experiences and emotions. This two-night mini workshop can help you discover the poetry behind these personal conversations and connections.
Testimonials from Our Community
“Padma Venkatraman was extraordinarily open and enthusiastic on all the zoom interactions. I felt warmth and caring from her across the Zoom lines.”
“I knew I could not attend in person but I signed up because you offered the recording. Having that option was invaluable.”
“Keep the mini courses going for those of us that can’t attend at the Highlights Foundation Campus! It helps us stay in touch and keep our skills growing!!”