A Two-Part Mini Online Course
Join author Aminah Mae Safi and editor Kat Brzozowski to explore a Voice that is uniquely your own. A Voice that comes from within— inner conflicts, outside pressures, personal values, experiences, identity, and so much more.
This program is a great fit if you’re looking for a short course of two, 75-minute sessions offering limited interaction with the community, but loads of information.
- Tuesday, September 12, 2023 (12pm – 1:15pm EST)
- Thursday, September 14, 2023 (12pm – 1:15pm EST)
- Webinar-style program with closed captioning available and limited interaction in the chat.
- You’ll have access to the recordings through October 31, 2023.
Why This Workshop?
As a writer, you have a Voice that is distinctively your own. You tell the stories that only you can tell.
While Voice may live inside you, at times we need help getting it to the page.
Join author Aminah Mae Safi and editor Kat Brzozowski to learn ways that you can deepen and amplify your Voice. We’ll explore:
- How authors channel an authentic kid or teen Voice in their writing to create characters that feel real and engaging,
- How to use that authentic, youthful Voice to hook your reader from the first page,
- How to create Voices that leap off the page (whether they’re your main character or just that kid sister who won’t stop trying to tag along for the story),
- And more!
- None included in the course. There will be limited interaction in the chat feature of the webinar-style program.
It’s a Great Fit If…
- You are a middle grade or young adult novelist interested in deepening your work through Voice exercises and experimentation.
- You are a writer looking for inspiration and idea generation. Voice is the bones of all engaging writing. This short course will offer many sparks for story, no matter the age range or genre.
- You’re looking for something short, sweet, and smart! This is not a full workshop; it is two 75-minute sessions with limited engagement meant to deepen your understanding of Voice.
At registration: You will receive a Zoom link to use each day of the course.
IF YOU CAN’T ATTEND LIVE:
If you are unable to attend either session for any reason, you’ll have access to the recordings (with closed captioning) through October 31, 2023.
Please note that if you register for the course after the start of the first session, you will not receive recordings immediately. You’ll receive both recordings after the close of the last session, usually within 24 hours.
All Times are Eastern Standard Time.
Part One: Tuesday, September 12, 2023 (12pm-1:15pm Eastern)
- Voice: An Overview
Kat and Mae give an overview on voice in MG and YA
Reading and discussing a scene from a YA novel to deconstruct how the author “makes” voice
Reading and discussing a scene from one of Mae’s novels to hear firsthand how voice is created on the page
- “Ask Us Anything” (About Voice)
Part Two: Thursday, September 14, 2023 (12pm-1:15pm Eastern)
- Voice: Writing Exercises
Hands-on writing to show how voice can be incorporated into your story to make it shine
- Sharing & “Ask Us Anything” (On publishing and Voice)
How It Impacts Kids
Readers know an authentic Voice. It stands out. It rings true! This program will help you craft a Voice on the page that resonates with readers.
Testimonials from Our Community
“This was a terrific course. I loved getting an editorial perspective, and it was extremely helpful to get Kat’s revision and industry insights. I thought the classes were well-organized, engaging, and interesting.”
“Kat is the first person I’ve heard actually describe what voice is that made sense.”
“Kat and Mae made a great team!”