Top 10 Questions about Self-Publishing
In advance of our upcoming workshop, Self or Indie Publishing: Answering the Big Questions, we wondered just what the “big questions” might be. Darcy Pattison, our fearless workshop leader, took a survey and discovered the things most people were curious about. She’ll be answering ALL of these questions at the workshop!
- Does self-publishing a children’s book close doors to the traditional publishing world?
- Is the self-published route really a respectable way for a first-time author to go?
- How much does it cost and when do you start earning income?
- How much work is involved and how much technical know-how do you need? For an idea about the workload, check out Darcy’s post The 50 Tasks of an Indie/Self Publisher.
- How do I market my book successfully? How do you launch a book, get reviews, what is the timeline and what if you can’t do it ALL?
- How can authors who are NOT illustrators find and afford quality illustrations for their books?
- How do you find a professional editor to review/edit your book before publication?
- How do I go about the sales and distribution of my books to parents, libraries, schools and bookstores? There’s a sneak peek on Darcy’s blog: The Classroom Library: Where Do Teachers Buy Books?.
- Do digital sales work for picture books and middle grade books? Can I publish my picture book only as an ebook? How do I make it look good in ebook format? You can get started at Darcy’s blog with eBook Formatting for Children’s Books.
- Is it fiscally worth it? How is it better than traditional publishing?
Posted on: May 20, 2017
Tags: business of publishing, faculty guest post, Self or Indie Publishing