My, oh my. Our #HFGather Illustrator Chat between Pat Cummings and Diane Dillon was just spectacular, with a bonus: Floyd Cooper reading his picture book Junteenth for Mazie.
Pat shared many images from the career of Leo & Diane Dillon, talking techniques artist-to-artists; and Diane shared stories about their life and work. The two friends covered a lot of ground:
- 50 years of creative collaboration between Leo and Diane, and the legacy of their work
- When given a story from another culture to illustrate, the Dillons tried to pay tribute to the art & artists from that culture in their illustrations
- Other ways of matching the style to the story
- The Dillon “family business” of working together on ALL their projects, and eventually including their son Lee
- The joys of an electric eraser!
- Facing down the blank white sheet of paper
- Doing what it takes to get the job done, including finding inventive ways to “make real” your artistic vision
If you missed the live webinar, watch it here:
If you can’t see the video on this page, follow this link to our Youtube channel.