A Two-Night Mini Online Course
Dialogue has the ability to amplify your characters’ voices, bring authenticity to your settings, and seriously unlock the pace and beats of your plot. Join award-winning authors Nora Shalaway Carpenter and Alechia Dow for this short course focused on getting the most out of your novel’s dialogue.
- Tuesday, February 27, 2024 (7pm – 8:15pm Eastern)
- Thursday, February 29, 2024 (7pm – 8:15pm Eastern)
- Webinar-style program with closed captioning available and limited interaction in the chat
- You’ll have access to the recordings through March 31, 2024.
Why This Workshop?
Dialogue is a powerful tool for writers. It has the ability to amplify your characters’ voices, bring authenticity to your settings, and seriously unlock the pace and beats of your plot.
Join authors Nora Shalaway Carpenter and Alechia Dow to discuss:
- The difference between real-life dialogue and story dialogue,
- How to use dialogue beats,
- Ways to revise dialogue (and increase tension, characterization, and voice),
- When (or if) to use slang, dialect, or alternate text,
- and more!
- None included in the course. There will be limited interaction in the chat feature of the webinar-style program.
It’s a Great Fit If…
- You are just starting to write for a middle-grade or young adult audience. Learn the foundations of dialogue to build a stronger novel.
- You are revising your middle-grade or young adult novel. Revision tips, exercises, and analysis will help you reimagine the use of dialogue in your novel.
- You could use some direction on your story ideas. There will be a number of topics covered to help spark new ideas and/or develop your works in progress.
- You’re looking for something short, sweet, and smart! This is not a full workshop. Instead it is two, 75-minute sessions meant to engage and grow your understanding the use of dialogue in novels.
At registration: You will receive a Zoom link to use each night of the course.
IF YOU CAN’T ATTEND LIVE:
If you are unable to attend either session for any reason, you’ll have access to the recordings (with closed captioning) through March 31, 2024.
Please note that if you register for the course after the start of the first session, you will not receive recordings immediately. You’ll receive both recordings after the close of the last session, usually within 24 hours.
All Times are Eastern Standard Time.
Part One: Tuesday, February 27, 2024 (7pm-8:15pm Eastern)
- What is dialogue? (The critical difference between real-life dialogue and story dialogue.)
- Text study: Analyze what works in middle-grade and young adult novels (And how it could work for you!)
- Discussion: When, How, or If You’ll Use Slang or Dialect
- Writing exercise
Part Two: Thursday, February 29, 2024 (7pm-8:15pm Eastern)
- Dialogue Beats: How to use them to increase tension and characterization
- Results of Revision: How to revise to make dialogue better
- Open Q & A
How It Impacts Kids
Kids and teens want to move through your story in an authentic way. This two-night mini workshop can help you bring forward authentic tools to enrich your dialogue for your readers.
Testimonials from Our Community
“I knew I could not attend in person but I signed up because you offered the recording. Having that option was invaluable.”
“Keep the mini courses going for those of us that can’t attend at the Highlights Foundation Campus! It helps us stay in touch and keep our skills growing!!”