A Two-Night Mini Online Course
Join editor Harold Underdown to uncover strategies for successfully submitting your manuscript to agents and editors. This program is a great fit if you’re looking for a short course of two, 75-minute sessions offering limited interaction with the community, but loads of information.
- Tuesday, January 16, 2024 (7pm – 8:15pm Eastern)
- Thursday, January 18, 2024 (7pm – 8:15pm Eastern)
- Webinar-style program with closed captioning available and limited interaction in the chat
- You’ll have access to the recordings through February 29, 2024.
Why This Workshop?
We believe in getting the very best stories to children and teens.
Part one of this journey is crafting the very best story. Part two is collaborating with publishing professionals to bring it into the world.
How do you know when you are ready to move to part two of the journey, and submit your manuscript?
Join editor Harold Underdown to answer this question and many others on your journey to submitting your work.
In this short course, we will discuss:
- Knowing when you are ready to submit
- How to prepare your submission
- Where to find editors and agents who are eager for your work
- Different strategies for submission, and selecting the one that is right for you and your work
- The basics of querying (including case studies of successful submission practices)
- And more!
You’ll receive resources to pair with the presentations, including detailed handouts.
- None included in the course. There will be limited interaction in the chat feature of the webinar-style program. (Bring plenty of questions to share in the chat.)
It’s a Great Fit for…
- Writers of books for kids and teens. The examples shared will be from a multitude of genres (including YA) with a focus on submission of manuscripts (not illustrations).
- Author/Illustrators focused on books for kids and teens. A handout will be included for those specifically submitting as author/illustrators.
- You are new to writing for children and/or teens and want to learn more about the submission process. This course will offer suggestions for successful submissions to children’s book agents and editors.
- You’ve been submitting and need some tips on ways to expand your submission process.
- You’re looking for something short, sweet, and smart! This is not a full workshop, instead it is two, 75-minute sessions meant to engage and build your foundational knowledge about submitting to children’s book editors and agents.
At registration: You will receive a Zoom link to use each night of the course.
IF YOU CAN’T ATTEND LIVE:
If you are unable to attend either session for any reason, you’ll have access to the recordings (with closed captioning) through February 29, 2024.
Please note that if you register for the course after the start of the first session, you will not receive recordings immediately. You’ll receive both recordings after the close of the last session, usually within 24 hours.
All Times are Eastern Standard Time.
Part One: Tuesday, January 16, 2024 (7pm-8:15pm Eastern)
- Assess Your Manuscript: Are You Ready to Submit?
- Research: Finding Agents & Editors Who Want Your Work
- Open Q & A
Part Two: Thursday, January 18, 2024 (7pm-8:15pm Eastern)
- Query Letter Basics (Editor & Agent Expectations)
- Analyze case studies (Diving into different successful paths to submission)
- Q&A (access to handouts)
How It Impacts Kids
If your goal is to bring your book to market, learning strategies for doing so will help you move toward getting your story in the hands of kids.
Testimonials from Our Community
“I was so impressed by Harold’s knowledge of the industry and his experiences. His stories, advice, and knowledge provided so much insight and information.”
“Harold is incredibly knowledgeable about the world of children’s book publishing. His presentation was well paced and engaging.”
“Keep the mini courses going for those of us that can’t attend at the Highlights Foundation Campus! It helps us stay in touch and keep our skills growing!!”