A Two-Night Mini Online Course
Picture book writers must make the most out of each and every word. Bringing readers into your story is just as important as the impact you leave them with at the end. Join picture book author Valerie Bolling to open the book on picture book beginnings and endings. This program is a great fit if you’re looking for a short course of two, 75-minute sessions offering limited interaction with the community, but loads of information.
- Monday, June 12, 2023 (7pm – 8:15pm EST)
- Wednesday, June 14, 2023 (7pm – 8:15pm EST)
- Webinar-style program with closed captioning available and limited interaction in the chat
- Recordings available until July 31, 2023
Why This Workshop?
Join picture book author Valerie Bolling to open the book on picture book beginnings and endings.
Each night of this short course will offer picture book analysis and opportunities for crafting your own ideas. There will also be time for your questions, as you explore:
- The tone and themes of your book and how beginnings and endings can elevate the emotional experience of your reader.
- Problem-solving strategies when you are stuck with where to begin or how to end.
- Beginnings that hook the reader, begging for the story to be read.
- Endings that feel satisfying, surprising, and emotionally resonant.
- None included in the course. There will be limited interaction in the chat feature of the webinar-style program.
It’s a Great Fit If…
- You are starting out as a picture book author, and are looking for advice on how to take your picture book from idea to story.
- You write for older readers, and want to learn more about the picture book form.
- You’re looking for something short, sweet, and smart! This is not a full workshop; they are short sessions meant to engage and build an understanding of picture book beginnings and endings.
At registration: You will receive a Zoom link to use each night of the course.
IF YOU CAN’T ATTEND LIVE:
If you are unable to attend either session for any reason, you’ll have access to the recordings (with closed captioning) through July 31, 2023.
Please note that if you register for the course after the start of the first session, you will not receive recordings immediately. You’ll receive both recordings after the close of the last session, usually within 24 hours.
All Times are Eastern Standard Time.
Part One: Monday, June 12, 2023 (7pm-8:15pm Eastern)
- Let’s start at the very beginning
- Analysis of powerful picture book beginnings
- Try this! (A hands-on exercise for your picture book beginning)
Part Two: Wednesday, June 14, 2023 (7pm-8:15pm EST)
- The End
- Analysis of emotionally resonant endings
- Try this! (A hands-on exercise for your picture book ending)
- Q&A with Valerie
How It Impacts Kids
Picture books make a difference in the lives of their readers. Finding ways to help readers enter the story, and connect emotionally with the book’s end, make these picture books the ones that they must read (or hear) again and again.
Testimonials from Our Community
“I was immediately inspired to incorporate ideas into a picture book I’ve been working on, and in fact completed another draft after the second session.”
“I knew I could not attend in person but I signed up because you offered the recording. Having that option was invaluable.”
“Keep the mini courses going for those of us that can’t attend at the Highlights Foundation Campus! It helps us stay in touch and keep our skills growing!!