Create Your Novel’s Style Guide: A Two-Night Mini
February 7 - 8, 2022
A Two-Night Mini Online Course
- Monday, February 7, 2022 (7pm – 8:15pm EST)
- Tuesday, February 8, 2022 (7pm – 8:15pm EST)
- Webinar-style program with closed captioning available and limited interaction in the chat
Novelists, join us for two evening sessions to develop your book’s editorial style guide so you can keep details clear, concise, and consistent as you revise. This program is a great fit if you’re looking for a short course of two, 75-minute sessions offering limited interaction with loads of information.
- None. There will be limited interaction in the chat feature of the webinar-style program.
- Participants will be encouraged to share their pitches in the chat, and tag faculty Jennifer Gennari and the Highlights Foundation in finished book maps on social media.
WHY THIS WORKSHOP?
Take this mini course to discover how and why it’s helpful to clarify your vision, characters, and timeline as you revise, and compile that information into a style guide to focus your efforts. You’ll also see the benefit of breaking out your inner artist to create a map of your book’s setting.
Content will be split into two parts:
Part 1: Clarifying your Vision and Characters
- What’s in a Style Guide, and a review of samples
- One-line pitch or tagline: What is your book about? (Including samples and how to write one)
- List of characters, noting physical details and character traits (including making distinct major character and tracking minor characters)
Part 2: Defining the Timeline and Map-Making
- Timeline: days, seasons, weather, chapter chronology (including spreadsheets and sample outlines)
- Setting: Locations, buildings, distances, orientation (including map-making samples and generating plot ideas)
- List of words, phrases, typography that are particular to your story
Part 1, Monday, February 7, 7pm – 8:15pm Eastern: Clarifying your Vision and Characters
Part 2, Tuesday, February 8, 7pm – 8:15pm Eastern: Defining the Timeline and Map-Making
If you’re unable for any reason to attend either session, you’ll have access to the recordings (with closed captioning) through March 31, 2022.
HOW IT IMPACTS KIDS:
By keeping your vision, characters, and timeline in mind as you will revise, you’ll be better equipped to tell your story in a way that will resonate with your readers.
FROM OUR COMMUNITY:
“Jen Gennari’s knowledge of craft, deep love of writing and reading, and ability to create compact lessons filled with valuable tools made this one of the best workshops I’ve ever participated in.”
“I feel so lucky to have had Jen as an instructor. She was the perfect combination of warm and friendly, and professional and resourceful. I’m a much more confident writer and editor after taking her class.”