Applying for a Scholarship
To be notified of application details when the period for 2024 is officially open, join our mailing list here. You can also find general information about our scholarship process below.
The Scholarship Application Process
The Highlights Foundation offers scholarships to our programs, awarded on a yearly basis.
In addition to General Scholarships, there are a number of Special Scholarships in support of specific recipients or workshops, and Named Funds honoring those who have had a significant impact on children’s literature. You can find out more about these on our scholarship list.
Awards are based on the following criteria, evaluated via the application:
- Seriousness of purpose, including time and effort devoted to craft.
- Talent displayed via a writing or art sample.
- Financial need.
Applicants apply for specific named scholarships (see list here), or our General Scholarship program. Recipients use their scholarship toward a Highlights Foundation workshop or personal retreat, depending on their award.
Terms & Conditions
- Applicants are encouraged to apply only once per year.
- Travel is not typically included as part of scholarships, though we have restricted funds available to offer on a limited basis during the application window. Ten travel stipends of $500 each will be awarded during this scholarship period, and there is a place on the application to let us know if a travel stipend is helpful.
- 2024 Scholarship recipients can choose the workshop or retreat that matches their interests and their award during the 2024 program season.
- Whole Novel Scholarship awards are made during this process, but they have separate scholarship funds and you must denote your interest in them on your application. Funds will be awarded specially for Whole Novel programs.
- In-Community Retreat Scholarships are awarded during this process, but they have separate scholarship funds, and you must denote your interest in them on your application, and awards will be offered to specific programs.
- While scholarships can be used for applicable programs, participation is still subject to the availability of the course (i.e. recipients should sign up early to reserve their seats and ensure availability).
- In a case where a course requires an application or questionnaire for acceptance/registration, scholarship recipients may still need to complete those requirements. Information will be made available at the time of course registration.
For questions (including help if you have trouble submitting your application), contact us.