Getting to Know Your Picture Book with Debbie Ridpath Ohi (Online Course plus Onsite Retreat) 2018 | June 11 – September 16, 2018
Please note: this workshop is full. Send us an email to join our waiting list!
Here are some other picture book workshops with seats open:
PB&J: Picture Books & All That Jazz, June 7-10, 2018
The Ins and Outs of a Picture Book and Its Many Forms, August 26-29, 2018
The Journey: Everything You Need to Know to Write a Book for Children, September 9-12, 2018
Give your picture book the special attention it deserves with this long-form workshop: an activity-based web series paired with a guided writing retreat.
Have you already written one or more picture book stories but aren’t sure what to do next? Have you been submitting your picture book stories without much luck and are getting discouraged?
Children’s book author and illustrator Debbie Ridpath Ohi invites you to join this unique program in which participants will workshop their picture books in a creative and encouraging environment.
Part 1: Weekly Sessions in a Web Classroom
Weeks of June 11, 18, 25 and July 2nd, 2018
You’ll attend weekly sessions in a web classroom with Debbie Ridpath Ohi.
- Outline ways to deepen your understanding of picture book pacing, structure and format, character and story arc, revision tips.
- Offer advice on how to find your own voice.
- Host online discussions and respond to questions.
- Post writing exercises, lectures and videos.
- Check in with each student via email during Part 1, to answer questions and give direction.
- Schedule a phone call or video call (Skype or Google Hangout) with each student during Part 1.
Part 1 Notes
- You can participate in the web classroom at your leisure – no need to attend at a specific time.
- During the online portion, you will be encouraged to read from a selection of picture books. Access to a public library or good children’s bookstore will greatly enhance workshop benefits.
- During the online portion, you will be submitting excerpts of your picture book as needed, for feedback.
- You do not need to be an illustrator in order to take this workshop.
Part 2: Writing and Revising On Your Own
July 7-Aug 12, 2018
You’ll apply all you learned in Part 1 to your picture book – finishing up your draft, revision or picture book dummy, in preparation for your in-person visit to our Retreat Center.
Part 2 Notes:
- Debbie will be available via email to answer further questions and offer support.
- By August 13, you will submit your picture book manuscript or picture book mock-up/dummy so that Debbie can get ready for your in-person critique.
Part 3: In-Person Workshop At Our Retreat Center
Sept 13-16, 2018
Bring your picture book dummy to our Retreat Center, where Debbie and special guests Heidi Stemple, Rubin Pfeffer and Lisa Cinelli will mentor you through your next round of revisions.
Part 3 Notes:
- Each morning will kick off with a general session of lectures and writing exercises.
- Afternoons are reserved for writing and one-on-one critique sessions.
- Each night will end with a chance for you to share your work with faculty and peers.
- Author Heidi Stemple, agent Rubin Pfeffer and author/illustrator Lisa Cinelli will join Debbie for this part of the workshop.
NOTE: To participate in this workshop, you must have a completed draft of a picture book manuscript or picture book dummy/mock-up.
Faculty & Special Guests