From Query to Acquisitions: A Two Night Mini
October 18 - 19, 2022
A Two-Night Mini Online Course
Join agent Sera Rivers and editor Jennifer Baker to gain a better understanding of the submission process, from querying your work through acquisitions.
This program is a great fit if you’re looking for a short course of two, 75-minute sessions offering limited interaction with the community, but loads of information.
- Tuesday, October 18, 2022 (7pm – 8:15pm EST)
- Wednesday, October 19, 2022 (7pm – 8:15pm EST)
- Webinar-style program with closed captioning available and limited interaction in the chat
- None. There will be limited interaction in the chat feature of the webinar-style program.
WHY THIS WORKSHOP?
When your goal is traditional book publication, knowing the submission process is a must. In this webinar-style program, you will hear from both an agent and an editor as they share the submission process—from querying through acquisitions.
Part 1 explores how to craft a successful query letter and choose which agents to query, and how to decide next steps when an agent offers representation and/or an editor is interested in your book.
Part 2 shares details about the internal discussions that take place in many publishing houses when they consider making an offer on a book, what authors should prepare for when on submission, and considerations about the type of publishing experience one might wish to have.
Both sessions will reserve time for as much participant Q&A as possible.
If you are unable to attend the sessions live, a recording will be available for at least 30 days following the program.
Part 1, facilitated by agent Sera Rivers: Tuesday, October 18, 7pm – 8:15pm Eastern
- Explores crafting a query.
- Discusses how to decide next steps when an agent offers representation, and/or an editor is interested in your book.
Part 2, facilitated by editor Jennifer Baker: Wednesday, October 19, 7pm – 8:15pm Eastern
- Details the internal discussions that take place in many publishing houses when they consider making an offer on a book.
- Explores author-centered considerations about what to prepare for on submission, and what type of publishing experiences authors wish to have.
If you’re unable for any reason to attend either session, you’ll have access to the recordings with closed captioning through November 30, 2022.
HOW IT IMPACTS KIDS:
If your goal is to bring your book to market, learning strategies for doing so will help you move toward getting your story in the hands of kids.
Jennifer Baker’s website
Jennifer Baker’s Manuscript Wish List
Jennifer Baker’s Minorities in Publishing podcast
Articles by Jennifer Baker at Electric Lit
Sera Rivers’ website
Sera Rivers’ Manuscript Wish List
>Interview with Sera Rivers on Literary Rambles
“Both presenters were very knowledgable, thorough, and kind.”
“As an agented kidlit author, I found both presentations very informative. I loved Jen Baker’s in-depth peek behind the submission/acquisitions curtain.”
“I have written many queries, but Sera’s detailed list of what to include was particularly helpful.”
“Extremely informative, knowledgeable insight from personal experience. Both nights gave a clear and concise “road map” of the agent/editor/publishing process! Thank you!”