Picture Book Structure, Focus, & Word Choice: A Two-Night Mini
July 12 - 14, 2022
A Two-Night Mini Online Course.
Everyone loves picture books! But writing stories that sell means going beyond a fun idea. In addition to plot, picture book creatives need to consider structure, style, rhythm, word choice, and more! Join award-winning picture book author Darcy Pattison and author/illustrator Leslie Helakoski for this short course of two, 75-minute sessions offering limited interaction with the community, but loads of information.
- Tuesday, July 12, 2022 (7pm – 8:15pm EST)
- Thursday, July 14, 2022 (7pm – 8:15pm EST)
- Webinar-style program with closed captioning available and limited interaction in the chat
If you’re interested in an in-person picture book experience, this faculty will be hosting Picture Book Writers and Illustrators: A Working Retreat, August 25-28. Learn more.
- None included in the course. There will be limited interaction in the chat feature of the webinar-style program.
WHY THIS WORKSHOP?
Everyone loves picture books! But writing stories that sell means going beyond a fun idea. In addition to plot, picture book creatives need to consider structure, style, rhythm, word choice, and more!
In this short course, children’s book author Darcy Pattison and author/illustrator Leslie Helakoski will cover:
- An overview picture book components
- Structures & styles
- Drafting focusing statements
- Word choice
- Exploring voice
IT’S A GREAT FIT IF:
- You are starting out as a picture book author or author/illustrator looking for beginning information about picture book structures and word choice.
- You are considering writing a picture book for children and want to learn more about this genre.
- You are a picture book author or author/illustrator who has already drafted picture books and want to learn more about considerations when it comes to revising and strengthening your work.
- You’re looking for something short, sweet, and smart! This is not a full workshop. Instead it is two, 75-minute sessions meant to engage and build your knowledge of the picture book form.
At registration: You will receive a Zoom link to use each night of the course.
Part One: Tuesday, July 12, 2022 (7pm-8:15pm Eastern)
- Picture Books: An Overview
- Picture book components
- Coming to picture books as an author or as an author/illustrator
- Picture book structures
- Homework: Creating your own focusing statements
Part Two: Thursday, July 14, 2022 (7pm-8:15pm Eastern)
- Check-in – Share your focusing statement in the chat!
- What comes next? Word Choice
- Brief notes on revision
If you’re unable to attend either session for any reason, you’ll have access to the recordings (with closed captioning) through August 31, 2022.
HOW IT IMPACTS KIDS:
Picture books are beloved by children and the adults who care about them! This two-night mini workshop can help you learn more about this amazing storytelling gift.
How Do You Know If You’ve Written a Picture Book?
Writing Picture Books That Soar
Short and Easy, Right? How Hard Can It Be to Write a Picture Book?
3 Tips for Writing Funny Picture Books
Pointers for Writing Powerful Picture Books
Nonfiction Picture Books: Get it Right with Research
“The faculty was excellent – knowledgeable, focused, and generous with their time.”
“Darcy and Leslie encouraged, enlightened, and energized in a most personable way.”
“A perfect mix of learning and practicing our craft.”
“Darcy and Leslie were extremely accessible.”