From Query to Acquisitions with an Agent & Editor: A Two-Night Mini
January 19 - 20, 2022
Please Note: This course is full. Please click here to be put on our waiting list
A Two-Night Mini Online Course
- Wednesday, January 19, 2022 (7pm – 8:15pm EST)
- Thursday, January 20, 2022 (7pm – 8:15pm EST)
- Webinar-style program with closed captioning available and limited interaction in the chat
Join us for two evening sessions to firm up your understanding of the submission process, from querying your work through acquisitions. This program is a great fit if you’re looking for a short course of two, 75-minute sessions offering limited interaction with the community, but loads of information.
- None. There will be limited interaction in the chat feature of the webinar-style program.
WHY THIS WORKSHOP?
When your goal is traditional book publication, knowing the submission process is a must. In this webinar-style program, you will hear from both an agent and an editor as they share the submission process—from querying through acquisitions.
Part one (with agent Sera Rivers) explores how to craft a successful query letter and choose which agents to query, through how to decide next steps when an agent offers representation, and/or an editor is interested in your book.
Part two (with editor Jennifer Baker) shares details about the internal discussions that take place in many publishing houses when they consider making an offer on a book, to what authors should prepare for when on submission, plus considerations about the type of publishing experience they wish to have.
Both sessions will save some session time for as much participant Q&A as possible. If you are unable to attend the sessions live, a recording will be available for 30 days following the program.
Part 1: Wednesday, January 19, 7pm – 8:15pm Eastern
- Explores crafting a query.
- Discusses how to decide next steps when an agent offers representation, and/or an editor is interested in your book.
Part 2: Thursday, January 20, 7pm – 8:15pm Eastern
- Details the internal discussions that take place in many publishing houses when they consider making an offer on a book.
- Explores author-centered considerations about what to prepare for on submission and what type of publishing experiences authors wish to have.
If you’re unable for any reason to attend either session, you’ll have access to the recordings with closed captioning through February 28, 2022.
HOW IT IMPACTS KIDS:
If your goal is to bring your book to market, learning strategies for doing so will help you move toward getting your story in the hands of kids.