Picture Book Plotting A-Z
October 3 - November 11, 2021
TYPE & LENGTH:
- This 5-week online course is largely self-paced, with new content and assignments released weekly in our virtual classroom.
- There are weekly live office hours via Zoom for Q&A on Thursdays at 7pm Eastern.
- Additional time might be spent posting assignments and reflections in the virtual classroom.
- You can add an optional consultation with faculty after the course.
WHY THIS WORKSHOP?
Week 2: October 10-16
Topics include: dialogue, description, foreshadowing, character problem-solving, hooking the reader, marketing and pitching, humor
Thursday, October 14: LIVE Zoom Office Hours Session, 7-8 pm Eastern
Week 3: October 17-23
Topics include: action, pacing, layout, outlining, analyzing mentor texts
Thursday, October 21: LIVE Zoom Office Hours Session, 7-8 pm Eastern
Week 4: October 24-30
Topics include: Variations on plot constructions, writing good query letters
Thursday, October 28: LIVE Zoom Office Hours Session, 7-8 pm Eastern
Please note: class will not be held the week of October 31-November 6.
Week 5: November 7-13
Topics include: Theme, settings, illustration, using repetition
Thursday, November 11: LIVE Zoom Office Hours Session, 7-9* pm Eastern (please note extended time for group workshopping of picture book drafts)
Following the course, writers will have the opportunity to purchase an optional consultation with Sudipta to discuss one picture book manuscript. After submitting work, a private session will be scheduled via Zoom to review ideas, suggestions, and next steps. The cost for this optional consultation is $125, and will be scheduled within 6 weeks of completing the course.
HOW IT IMPACTS KIDS:
Picture books are the first entry point for getting children engaged in story, inviting kids to immerse themselves in the stories they hear–and later, the ones they read. This course will help you learn the components of a strong picture book.
HIGHLIGHTS FOUNDATION RESOURCES AND FAQS FOR WORKSHOPS:
- Why do we mention how workshops impact kids? Learn about the Highlights Foundation mission.
- COVID Reschedule/Refund Policy
What’s the difference between Highlights Foundation workshop types?
- Trying to figure out how this course fits into your schedule? Read some ideas about planning for the right level of commitment.
- A note about workshop agendas and how they change and evolve.
- Nervous about critiques? See how the Highlights Foundation approaches the process here.
FROM OUR COMMUNITY:
“Sudipta provided a wealth of information in the coursework and was very generous with her time during office hours. She knows her stuff!”
“Sudipta is a wonderful teacher in person but the online lessons were also great – so much material laid out in a very accessible way. It is clear she put a lot of work and thought into the class.”
“I like the process of getting new information each day, then an assignment, and often an extended lesson with writing cues. Being able to ask questions any time was great; the Thursday night sessions were very informative.”
“Even though we were were not together in person, I felt the facilitator and Sudipta did a great job in making us feel we were a mini family where we could learn and share freely.”