Poetry as Inspiration: A Two-Part Mini
With Padma Venkatraman, Aida Salazar and Laura Shovan
May 18 - 19, 2021
TYPE & LENGTH:
Webinar-style, Online (Facilitated with community participation limited to chat and Q & A)
Two 75-minute Zoom sessions (May 18 and 19, 2021, 7pm – 8:15pm Eastern)
WHY THIS WORKSHOP?
Read, connect, and explore with poets Aida Salazar, Laura Shovan, and Padma Venkatraman. We’ll gather words and inspiration from other poets to craft our own visions of the world, and use poetic exercises to spark and harness creativity. Let’s talk about form and the raw beauty of poetic expression. Let’s embrace poetry’s unique ability to act as a springboard for creativity.
Sessions will be webinar-style with a mini-lecture, readings, and guest conversations. Community participation will occur via writing exercises and Q&A.
IT’S A GREAT FIT IF:
- You’re a poet looking for community and inspiration with fellow creators.
- You’re not (or not yet?) a poet, but are looking for new ways to build creativity. This can include authors, illustrators, and storytellers of any type. The sessions are about harnessing the creativity that poetry can inspire.
- You’re looking for something short, sweet, and smart! This is not a full workshop, instead the two 75-minute sessions are meant to engage and spark your curiosity of the written word.
COMMITMENT REQUIRED FOR THE BEST EXPERIENCE:
This session takes place over 2 evenings, with live webinar sessions starting at 7:00pm Eastern.
A writing exercise will be provided on the evening of May 18th. It would be ideal if you could complete it before the session begins on May 19th to fully engage in the discussion and Q&A; however it is not required.
Note: If your schedule does not allow you to attend live sessions, that’s OK! You’ll have access to the recordings. They’re usually posted the day after the session, and they’ll be available through June 30, 2021.
Part One: Tuesday, May 18 (7pm-8:15pm EST)
- Welcome, The Highlights Foundation
- Opening remarks, Padma Venkatraman
- Crafting Poetry mini lecture with exercises from Laura Shovan
- Poets in Conversation: Laura Shovan & Padma Venkatraman
- Writing Exercise to do independently
Part Two: Wednesday, May 19 (7pm-8:15pm EST)
- Discussion of Writing Exercise Discoveries
- Crafting Voice and Style to Inspire with Aida Salazar
- Writing Together, writing exercise: Find the Spark
- Poets in Conversation: Aida Salazar & Padma Venkatraman
- Q & A and Closings
HOW THIS WORKSHOP IMPACTS KIDS:
To spark imagination in children and to bring their minds to new places, we must first do the same for ourselves. These sessions will help you tap into new avenues of creativity through poetry, inspiring new or revitalized ways to tell stories for children.
Highlights Foundation Resources for workshops and FAQ’s:
- COVID Reschedule/Refund Policy
What’s the difference between Highlights Foundation workshop types?
- A note about workshop agendas and how they change and evolve.
- Trying to figure out how this course fits into your schedule? Read some ideas about planning for the right level of commitment.
- Why do we mention HOW THIS WORKSHOP IMPACTS KIDS? Learn about the Highlights Foundation mission.