Getting to Know Your Character Online Course 2020
June 4 - 25, 2020
Online Course Info:
This is a four-week online course featuring LIVE sessions with faculty, writing exercises, a community forum, a LIVE peer-to-peer roundtable, and an opportunity for editor or agent feedback on your manuscript.
The dates for the LIVE sessions:
Session 1: June 4
Session 2: June 11
Session 3: June 18
Session 4: June 25
Online Workshop Participant Cap:
Join Us Online To:
Deepen your understanding of your characters and how they are the foundation for every aspect of your story. Explore resources and complete writing exercises to unlock your characters’ secrets and make decisions about your point of view, plot, pacing and more. Participate in weekly faculty LIVE lectures and Q&A sessions, and receive faculty feedback on your work.
Please note: our online courses use the Thinkific platform, so when you click to register, you’ll land on the Thinkific site and you’ll register there.
What You’ll Learn & Experience:
Character can tell you so much about your story, both what goes “on the page” and what happens behind the scenes. In this course, you will:
- Engage in Q&A sessions and hear weekly faculty lectures.
- Explore resources and complete writing exercises (2 per week).
- Participate in a community forum to connect with peers.
- Receive editor or agent feedback on your cover letter, synopsis, and the first 10 pages of your novel.
- Getting to know your main character
- The influence of secondary characters
- Seeing characters through Scene
- Strengthening your characters with the help of outlines, storyboards, and other tricks
Special Guests: We’re thrilled to have editor Katura Hudson and agent Kelly Dysterhouse offer critiques to workshop participants following the 4-week character intensive.
Join Us If:
- You have an in-progress or completed draft of a chapter book, middle grade or young adult novel. Whatever point you’re at, exploring character will help you grow your story.
- You want to learn strategies to improve your novel draft. Exploring your characters will help you with every aspect of your story: plot, voice, point of view and more.
- You want to make sure that readers connect with your characters. The better you know your character, the more likely they will resonate with readers.
Event Cost: $499.00