Creating an Image System That Works for Your Verse Novel Online Course 2020
October 28 - November 25, 2020
Please note: this course is full. Please click here to be placed on our waiting list.
Online Course Info:
This is a five-week online workshop that features weekly Wednesday LIVE Zoom lectures (at 7 pm Eastern), discussions, writing exercises, pre-recorded lectures and roundtable sessions.
Online Workshop Participant Cap:
What You’ll Learn & Experience:
An image system is a series of images (can be a symbol or a metaphor or a simile) strung together in a narrative that, as they build, reveal character change and development. This course will help you design an image system that consistently brings out the core idea of your novel in verse. You will:
- Attend LIVE Zoom sessions (Wednesdays, 7 pm Eastern).
- Watch videos, explore resources and complete structured assignments.
- Review sample image systems and design one to use in your novel in verse.
The course is divided into 5 sessions:
- Session 1: Course Overview and Introductions
- Session 2: Image Systems in Verse Novels: An Analysis
- Session 3: How to Find an Image System That Works for Your Character
- Session 4: Using Poetic Devices to Emphasize your Image System
- Session 5: Where Do We Go From Here?
Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai and Audacity by Melanie Crowder
- You have an in-progress or completed draft of a middle grade or young adult novel in verse. In this course, you’ll create an image system that supports the core idea of your novel in verse.
- You need a workshop that fits into your schedule. This is an online course and you are free to work at your own pace.
The Verse Novel: If I Can Do It, So Can You, by Kathryn Erskine
YA Wednesday: Better and Verse, by Padma Venkatraman
Read a verse novel a day for National Poetry Month
Best 9 Tips On Plotting a Novel in Verse from the Fiction Notes blog.