March 5 - 8, 2020
You have multiple ideas for picture book stories that you’re eager to write…
How do you evaluate your ideas? Which have the potential to be good? Which have the potential to be PUBLISHED?
Receive these answers and much more when you join the exclusive Storystorm 2020 Retreat! Our exceptional faculty includes:
- Tara Lazar, author & Storystorm host
- Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen, author & fiction guru
- Heidi E.Y. Stemple, author & nonfiction guru
- Josh Funk, author & rhyming guru
- Courtney Pippin-Mathur, author-illustrator & art guru
From March 5-8th at the beautiful Highlights Foundation Pocono Mountains campus, you’ll dive deep into picture book concept, structure and composition as well as the business of publishing. Participate in hands-on workshops, roundtable discussions, evening creative exercises, and of course, relish some free writing time. Roam the hiking trails, explore the Word Garden, and chat with kindred spirits. This is YOUR TIME. (Oh, and did I mention Chef Amanda’s scrumptious locally-sourced farm-to-table cuisine? And S’mores ‘round the fire?!)
You do not have to participate in the Storystorm challenge in January to attend our retreat. You just have to be a committed picture book writer eager to make the next giant leap in your career. You want to go from merely writing to writing your name on a new contract.
This retreat will be an indelible investment in your career. Immerse yourself in knowledge from the experienced faculty. They’ll give you the nitty-gritty details you need to know about the craft and business of writing for children. (We’ll be kicking off the retreat with “Stuff No One Ever Tells You! But Tara Will!”)
Remember, authoring picture books is not only a creative endeavor, it is a business. And you have to be prepared to get down to business.
Are you ready?
What you can expect:
- Level Up Your Picture Book (Art Notes, High Concept & Big Stakes) with Tara Lazar
- Seven Revision Tips to Take Your PB from Waah to Wow by Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen
- Crafting Your Non-Fiction Voice with Heidi E.Y. Stemple
- In-Depth Rhyming Workshop with Josh Funk
- How to Write with Art by Courtney Pippin-Mathur
- Roundtable “Test Your Concept” Discussions with Faculty
- Evening Creative Activities to Inspire Even More Ideas
- Delicious Meals from Chef Amanda
- Guided Walks with Faculty
- Free Time to Write
$999 per person
$100 discount for rooming with a buddy ($899 each)
Come with a friend, share lodging, and save an additional $100 each. Both of you must use code SHARE100, when registering and put your friend’s name in the comments.
All-inclusive registration includes workshop tuition, lodging, meals, beverages, and snacks..
Free shuttle is service available from the local airport, train, and bus station, or you can park on site. Get more logistics information here.
Pay in full or secure your spot with a deposit of $200 and payment plans as low as $75/month. We'll be in touch with details after you register.
Do you want help finding a workshop or resources that will fit your needs? Talk to one of our ambassadors.