LatinX Writers: A Working Symposium 2020
September 29 - October 2, 2020
Join Us To:
Explore the Latinx experience in children’s book writing and publishing:
- What stories do today’s children need from Latinx book creators and about Latinx people?
- What stories speak to our varied experiences?
- How can we diversify the existing body of Latinx children’s literature?
What You’ll Learn:
- Hear a series of faculty lectures, where faculty will speak both from their expertise in the world of writing and publishing for children and from their experience as Latinx book creators in the industry.
- Attend panel discussions with authors and publishing professionals.
- Participate in roundtable discussions to exchange ideas.
- Sign up for an optional faculty critique.
- Discuss the complex Latinx identity & difficulties in publishing.
- Be inspired by fellow Latinx creators.
- Discuss how to generate authentic characters, details, and connections.
- Take time to reflect, connect, and experiment.
- You are Latinx. This program is designed to be an exchange of ideas and a place to connect in community.
- You are an author or illustrator. This program is open to all Latinx kidlit creatives regardless of genre or age you are creating for.
- You work in children’s publishing. This “Essential Conversations” course will be stronger with voices from all sides of Latinx publishing.
Our workshops typically include faculty presentations, hands-on exercises, specialty topic sessions, some level of feedback, and retreat time for working on your own projects. Although we don’t have a finished agenda for this course yet, see a sample agenda here to get an idea of what to expect.
“The staff at Highlights is what consistently continues to impress me. They go above and beyond in everything they do. When I’m there, I don’t have to worry about anything but learning, nurturing my creativity, and writing.”
“The faculty/conferee ratio and the availability of the faculty are two of the best and unique features of these small workshops.”
Scholarships are available for this workshop from the Essential Conversations fund:
Application deadline is July 11, 2020. Scholarships will be announced August 10, 2020.
Click here to apply!
For more information about scholarships, click here.
All-Inclusive Event Cost: $999.00
All-inclusive registration includes workshop tuition, lodging, meals, beverages, and snacks. Free shuttle service is available from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (AVP) International Airport. Airport pick-up at Newark Airport is also available for $75 round-trip.
We offer payment plans as low as $75/month. We'll be in touch with details after you register.
Do you want help finding a workshop or resources that will fit your needs?
Talk to one of our ambassadors.
Begins on Tuesday, September 29, with dinner and ends on Friday, October 2, with lunch.