Storytelling Through Drawing: Discovering Your Visual Voice and Style 2019
October 17 - 20, 2019
Explore the elements of storytelling through drawing, experimentation, and problem solving with picture making materials. Craft your own artistic style with leading industry professionals illustrators James Ransome, Anna Raff and their special guests during an intensive weekend of one-to-one critique and discovery to expand your illustration practice.
What You’ll Learn
This workshop offers:
- Portfolio critiques with illustrators and an art director.
- Workshops to expand narrative storytelling in your pictures.
- Strategies for color, composition, and drawing to communicate visual ideas.
- New digital and traditional techniques to strengthen your illustration.
- Activities to refresh and deepen drawing fundamentals.
- Opportunities for networking and creative collaboration.
Who Should Attend
This workshop is for beginning, intermediate, and advanced illustrators who would like to push their work to the next level, revitalize their portfolio, and/or find a more individual artistic voice.
If you have taken one of these other workshops, you may find this course of special interest: Picture Book Illustration: From Conception to Birth; Illustration Intensive; Crafting a Picture Book Dummy; Color, Light, Line & Texture; Getting to Know Your Picture Book; Carving Out Your Picture Book for Submission; Creating Picture Books; Super Children’s Book Boot Camp.
The weekend will consist of a series of intimate workshops with James, Anna, and their invited illustrator guests, Jerry Pinkney, Sean Qualls and art director Lucy Ruth Cummins.
- Storytelling with a single image and a sequence of images.
- Drawing, composition, and color workshop from life.
- Experimenting with traditional and non-traditional techniques.
- Expanding an arsenal of image-making solutions.
- Reworking a piece with new materials.
- Troubleshooting through artistic stumbling blocks.
- Faculty presentations.
- One-to-one critique with Simon & Schuster art director Lucy Ruth Cummins.
James Ransome’s website
Anna Raff’s website
James Ransome interview
Jerry Pinkney’s website
Sean Qualls’ website
Lucy Ruth Cummins’s website
James Ransome: Working with Watercolor
James Ransome: Building a Drawing
James Ransome: KidLitTV
Let’s Get Busy Podcast: Interview with Anna Raff and Charise Harper
Seven Impossible Things Interview with Anna Raff
Drawing with Jerry Pinkney
Sean Qualls and Selina Alko: Live Drawing with NYTimes
Interview with Lucy Ruth Cummins
Breaking Through Those Creative Blocks, Anna Raff
All-Inclusive Event Cost: $999.00
All-inclusive registration includes workshop tuition, lodging, meals, beverages, and snacks. Free shuttle service is available from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (AVP) International Airport. Airport pick-up at Newark Airport is also available for $75 round-trip.
We offer payment plans as low as $75/month. We'll be in touch with details after you register.
Do you want help finding a workshop or resources that will fit your needs?
Talk to one of our ambassadors.
Begins on Thursday, October 17 with dinner and ends on Sunday, October 20, with lunch.