Revision Retreat 2017 | August 5 – August 9, 2017
Intended for writers wanting to revise a draft of a manuscript and explore proven techniques for self-editing.
In this working retreat, Harold Underdown and editor Eileen Robinson will teach proven techniques for self-editing and revising and help writers try them out on their manuscripts. Mornings will be dedicated to revision techniques and afternoons to optional critique groups, individual meetings, and writing time.
- Try out a variety of techniques for self-editing, from big picture revision down to line-editing
- Explore ways to gain objectivity and more focused responses to manuscripts
- Learn about reader response theory and how to use it to gain insights into a manuscript
- Discover creative techniques, such as improvising new scenes
- Take part in model critique groups, if interested
- Contribute to group discussions and share favorite techniques
- Meet with an editor for individual consultations
Intended for writers wanting to revise a draft of a manuscript and explore proven techniques for self-editing. Participants will work on their rough or finished draft of a novel, picture book, or narrative nonfiction.
Faculty blog posts:
7 Quick Tips for Beginning Writers
How to Start Revising That First Draft
Faculty & Special Guests
"Harold and Eileen were very knowledgeable and approachable. They were always willing to answer questions and give feedback as well as to spend time getting to know us. They gave helpful suggestions and the mentoring experience showed me what I needed to work on and what steps to take to do so. They did a great job!"—2016 attendee