Getting To Know Your Novel with Sarah Aronson (Online Course plus Onsite Retreat) 2018 | January 8 – April 19, 2018
Give your novel the special attention it deserves with this long-form workshop: an activity-based web series paired with a guided writing retreat.
We’d like to invite you to spend the first part of 2018 workshopping your novel (either complete or in-progress) in this unique program led by author and writing teacher Sarah Aronson, with support from co-fauculty Cori McCarthy.
Part 1: Weekly Sessions in a Web Classroom
You’ll attend weekly sessions in a web classroom with Sarah and Cori. They will:
- Outline ways to deepen your understanding of plot, character and revision.
- Host online discussions and respond to questions.
- Post writing exercises, lectures and videos.
- Check in with each student via email weekly, to answer questions and give direction.
- Schedule two phone calls with each student during this period.
Part 1 Notes:
- You can participate in the web classroom at your leisure—no need to attend at a specific time.
- During the online portion, you will be submitting excerpts of your novel as needed, for feedback.
Part 2: Writing and Revising On Your Own
You’ll apply all you learned in Part 1 to your novel–finishing up your draft, or your revision, in preparation for your in-person visit to our Retreat Center.
Part 2 Notes:
- Sarah and Cori will be available via phone or email to answer further questions and offer support.
- By March 15, you will submit up to 50 pages of your novel, plus a chapter-by-chapter synopsis, so that the team can get ready for your in-person critique.
- Sarah and Cori will be reading up to 50 pages and your synopsis.
Part 3: In-person Workshop at our Retreat Center
Bring your novel to our Retreat Center, where the team will mentor you through your next round of revisions.
Part 3 Notes:
- Each morning will kick off with a general session of lectures and writing exercises.
- Afternoons are reserved for writing and one-on-one critique sessions.
- Each night will end with a chance for you to share your work with faculty and peers.
- Editor Heather Alexander will join Sarah and Cori for this part of the workshop.
Faculty blog posts
Writing a Synopsis
Faculty Interview: Sarah Aronson
Listen for Stories
Highlights from Highlights!
Greetings from Highlights
Please note: We are still adding faculty to this workshop.
Faculty & Special Guests
"This is by far the most supportive and professional workshop I've ever been to - I felt nurtured and more than achieved my goals."
"Sarah's warmth, generosity, responsiveness, and great insights made this class one of the most outstanding I have ever taken. She set not only the structure but most importantly the tone that made this workshop so successful from its online beginning to its in-person culmination."
"Sarah is a thoughtful teacher who is generous with her time. She truly cares about her students!"