Getting To Know Your Novel with Sarah Aronson 2018 | January 8 – April 19, 2018
Give your novel the special attention it deserves with this long-form workshop: an activity-based web series paired with a guided writing retreat.
We’d like to invite you to spend the first 3 months of 2018 workshopping your novel (either complete or in-progress) in this unique program led by author and writing teacher Sarah Aronson, with support from several teaching assistants.
Part 1: Weekly Sessions in a Web Classroom
You’ll attend weekly sessions in a web classroom with Sarah and her teaching assistants. She will:
- Outline ways to deepen your understanding of plot, character and revision.
- Host online discussions and respond to questions.
- Post writing exercises, lectures and videos.
- Check in with each student via email weekly, to answer questions and give direction.
- Schedule two phone calls with each student during this period.
Part 1 Notes:
- You can participate in the web classroom at your leisure—no need to attend at a specific time.
- During the online portion, you will be submitting excerpts of your novel as needed, for feedback.
Part 2: Writing and Revising On Your Own
You’ll apply all you learned in Part 1 to your novel–finishing up your draft, or your revision, in preparation for your in-person visit to our Retreat Center.
Part 2 Notes:
- Sarah will be available via phone or email to answer further questions and offer support.
- By March 15, you will submit up to 50 pages of your novel, plus a chapter-by-chapter synopsis, so that the team can get ready for your in-person critique.
- Sarah and the TA’s will be reading up to 50 pages and your synopsis.
- Emma will be reading your first 5 pages and your synopsis.
Part 3: In-person Workshop at our Retreat Center
Bring your novel to our Retreat Center, where the team will mentor you through your next round of revisions.
Part 3 Notes:
- Each morning will kick off with a general session of lectures and writing exercises.
- Afternoons are reserved for writing and one-on-one critique sessions.
- Each night will end with a chance for you to share your work with faculty and peers.
Please note: We are still adding faculty to this workshop.
Faculty & Special Guests