Everything You Need to Know About Children’s Book Publishing: A Crash Course 2018 | March 22 – March 25, 2018
A workshop for serious beginners: learn all you need to know about the children’s book industry!
This intensive weekend is designed to give you a comprehensive look at how the children’s book publishing industry works. You will gain understanding of all processes associated with submitting, producing, and selling a trade book or magazine article. You will also learn from and make connections with children’s publishing insiders.
- How to select a publisher
- Trade book and magazine markets
- The mechanics of submitting your work
- The editorial process
- The design process
- Selling systems and promotion
- Opportunities in e-book and self-publishing
Optional tour of Highlights for Children and Boyds Mills Press
Hors d’Oeuvres and Dinner
Introductions and favorite book sharing
Friday & Saturday
- Genres of books, types of publishers, types of markets, including magazines; fiction vs. nonfiction, flat fee vs. royalties, school & libraries.
- Getting help before you submit: books, conferences, critique groups, beta readers, children; mistakes to avoid.
- Mistakes to avoid; submissions rules and practices.
- Writing a query letter.
- Art Department: Layout, Design, and Illustration.
Guest speaker after dinner
- Writing for the magazine market.
- Q&A about self publishing.
- Getting started as a professional.
Please note: we are still adding faculty to this workshop.
Faculty & Special Guests